Monday, May 7, 2007

The Power of Sorry

“I am sorry.”

This phrase has become the most powerful phrase in the English language. We have apparently decided that as long as someone says they are in fact sorry about something, then forgiveness can be found with time and patience. Mel Gibson, Jason Giambi, Robert McNamara, and Howard Stern. All of them are fools who acted with great hubris in their fields of business or personal lives, only to be exposed and then capitulate later. All of them are clear examples of how the American people would rather forgive and forget then deal with reality of long term consequences. America has become a land of apologists. Nobody recognizes what respondsibility looks like anymore.

My kids are disrespectful in school? I’m sorry.
I failed the test…Its ok, I teach to mastery.
Our leaders are corrupt…forgive us.
I’m a Pimp…….envy me.
A 45 year old pitcher is going to be paid 152,000 bucks a day…..he is worth it…just don’t ask us about steroids..

Now I am pretty progressive, but I wonder how we can close the wounds of a population of American’s who seem to content with promoting tendencies that eat away at our mutual integrity.

I am going to the mattresses on this issue. The foundation of a putrid individual character has got to go beyond economics, technology, and education. I say this because a person with only one of the three elements can still be civil. Even yet, a person without any of them could succeed in being an exemplary human being.

I also wonder if the idea that things have gotten worse is a myth. I see awful behavior from children and adults all day. I partake in this mess myself. But have things always been bad, and we just feign indignation? Have you read Shakespeare?

All I know, it that it is not video games, the Ebola virus, Rap or metal. It is time to explore this issue in reality. This time folks...its bigger then hip hop.


What we do in life, echoes an eternity....

No comments: