Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Can I get a large Lobster Bisque please....

Before I start, i ust wanted to say that This was one of the greatest things I have ever seen on TV. The build up was fantastic and the outcome hilarious. Needless to say, TV needs more stuff like this.


On with the show...

So this is how democracy dies.

Everyone looks one way and the next day everything they felt was sacred has been manipulated and changed without any regard whatsoever. The past three weeks I have raved about the importance of college sports in my life. Particularly, this has crystallized around the resurgence of the UConn men’s basketball team. However, in the past two weeks, two games the team has played with Big East opponents were unavailable to me on TV. Now Saturday’s thriller against USF was on ESPN. Smart for them, it was a good game. However, here I am spinning my radio dial to 1080 am to hear the rapid fire delivery of Joe D and Wayne for UConn vs. Depaul. As a person who didn’t miss a UConn men’s basketball game from 1991-2006 this has been a disturbing chain of events.

The culprit my friends…. is ESPN.

Yes, my beloved world wide leader (Whose headquarters is 20 minutes from my apartment) has decided to screw a lot of people and move what would typically be apart of ESPN’s regional programming to its burgeoning college sports network. Last week the men narrowly beat Notre Dame at Gampel in a great game. However, I had to listen to it on the radio. In a weird turn of events, despite being able to have greater access to sports in every way, I find myself being forced to resort to the most primitive measures to follow my favorite college sports program. Similar things happen with football this past fall.

I can follow the Manchester United Red Devils on MUTV every week and they play in England. That’s the UK people. However, I can’t watch a game taking place twenty minutes from my apartment (I live 20 minutes from everything awesome in CT, its fantastic). It is life under the totalitarian rule of EPSN. Local loyalties and conveniences are sacrificed for the bottom line of the “state”. Right now on ESPN southern powerhouse UNC Greenville is playing Davidson. Now, I am sure this is an epic meeting of mid-majors. But come on. How difficult would it be to get the local affiliate to simulcast the game? Your telling me they would loose revenue gained from re-runs of The King of Queens?

People rose up against the NFL network over the Pats vs. Giants in week 17. Congress got involved. That turned out great for everyone. Now this obviously isn’t going to be on the same level, but it is the same practice. I already pay Comcast 100 bucks a month. Arlen Spector and the boys down in the PA just don’t care.

Who is fighting for the common man’s ability to watch their favorite sports?

Are you Che or Winston Smith? It’s a tough one…

On to Slow Strikes
-Terry Francona needs an extension. He deserves it.

-Coco Crisp better be ready to sit the pine this season.

-The Schilling situation could only happen to the Red Sox. You don’t see Greg Maddox injury himself in November and not tell the team for 3 weeks.

-Shawn Marion is happy to have no chance of making the playoffs. I will never understand professional athletes…

No comments: