Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Greatest Band Ever Part One

I am going in order because I think my need to defend myself will grow over time, so I started out with a lay up.

The Beatles

The originators of popular Rock and Roll, the lads from Liverpool practically influenced every genre of music that followed. This is of course, with the exception of Country music, which was invented by the Devil when he failed to make it as a folk musician in the 20’s. From arena rock anthems to avant garde studio arrangements, everyone from the nerd, the jock, the goth, the pot head, to even the uptight bitchy slut could find an aspect of the Beatles music they could relate to. Even a regular joe like me, who rarely by choice listened to the Beatles growing up, has to recognize that the impact of this band on music is immeasurable. They are the greatest selling band of all time. This is despite the fact that they sought to push the boundaries of what was considered popular music throughout their career, or that they couldn't read sheet music. In TV interviews, everyone from the most drugged out metal head, to the most prepackaged talent-less pop star, to the modern rock genius points to the Beatles as a major influence. It has become one of the ultimate rock cliché’s, but it is true. They will be recognized as the greatest band ever until the Revolution, and maybe even beyond that.

This list was not as hard to create as I thought it would be. As I stated earlier, beyond a lot of the hits, I had not done the research. I hadn’t made sure to listen to every Beatles song on record until now. I think at 25, I can now only really begin to understand most of it anyways.

Like anything else, it is important to explain my list. Here are some things you should know that played a huge role in my decision making before I begin:

a. I am a George Harrison guy. Sure, the other members of the group got more pub and wrote more songs, but George Harrison’s contributions to the group’s transition musically was immense.

b. As such, two songs penned by Harrison have prominent spots on the list. Another song wrote by Harrison, “Something”, ends up in my top 15. Simply brilliant songwriting.

c. It is not that I discount the groups early years, but feel that knowing they had conquered the world gave them the gravitas to take it to the next level. Thus, the lack of songs written later then 1965.

d. I tend to reward music that has a message, especially if it promotes social change. Often this music is a little bit more sullen, always on the edge of falling into a chasm of pretentiousness. This list is chalk full of them.

10. Let It Be
9. With a Little Help From My Friends
8. Nowhere Man
7. In My Life
6. Hey Jude

The Five Greatest Songs by The Beatles according to The King.

5. Revolution-The White Album
Any song that references Chairman Mao so poetically makes the list. Comedy aside, a great example the social consciousness the group sought to explore.

4. A Day in the Life- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
This song is spectacularly bizarre. I don’t think “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Comfortably Numb”, or “Paranoid Android” are ever made without it. One of the most important pieces of music ever written.

3. Here Comes the Sun-Abby Road
George Harrison’s ode to optimism written in Eric Clapton’s garden. I had a teacher in the third grade that made the class listen to this song every day after the Pledge of Allegiance. I smile every time I hear it.

2. Eleanor Rigby-Revolver
A dark song with a fantastic arrangement. This song invents the now horribly contrived Alternative/EMO genre. Somewhere Rivers Cuomo is trying to crack a smile as he hides in his closet. It is a short song, but it packs a wallop.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps, or this version-The White Album
I included the two versions because of the epic quality of this song. It can be a huge arena anthem full of power riffs and a hardcore acoustic ballad full of loneliness and desperation. In that sense I feel it is the quintessential Beatles song. It is so versatile, so quality.


So there it is. As you will see, when it comes to any of these bands, picking a top 5 that everyone would agree on is futile. As much as one can try to stay objective, it is nearly impossible when there is so many great songs to pick from.

Until next time,

Strength and Honor

No comments: